"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Feel like Italian anyone?


I was surfing the tube and stopped on the Discovery Channel...I couldn't look away... people eating and actually enjoying this cheese that was filled with maggots!
Maggot Cheese (Cazu Marzu)
It was just wrong. Perhaps if it was drenched in smooth, creamy milk chocolate, I'd be curious enough to try it...then again, I don't think I'd be able to eat something that is still moving.
But you know what, it makes me all the more curious to visit Italy...before it was for sentimental reasons... Buon giorno, oggi e mercoledi...(Good morning today is Wednesday) or was it e oggi mercoledi...never mind that was about all I could remember.

At this moment I will pay a tribute to my 5th Grade elementary teacher at Pines Lake Elementary School...Mrs. Emberger. It was her desire to teach some 9 year olds about her home country and how to play bingo in Italian. She taught us how to count in itallian and before I left she was moving on to everyday objects. Imagine learning a foreign language wasn't even in the curriculum... or was it, I shall never know...too bad I only got to spend one term there, hence my limited...correction...non existing knowledge of the language.

All the more curious, I recall her asking the class what do we order when we go to an Italian restaurant and of course Spaghetti and pizza were just about the only thing anyone said, so she relayed to us that there was a lot more to enjoy and we shouldn't limit ourselves to the norm, something about the shrimps still having their head on...ech, she also told us about this place, a cliff where I think a rail road crosses over the top and at the bottom is where they sell gold jewelry, curious... I really liked her, hmmm I wonder whatever happened to her.

Here's to you Mrs. Emberger and to all the teachers that go the extra mile to try and broaden young and curious minds. She was definitely a special lady....Photo coming soon(I know I have one somewhere)...

On another note...as the memories come crashing forward, she was teaching us Italian while a couple of naughty kids were busy learning French under the our portable...kids, go figure.

3 comments:

Point Dexter said...

I'd like to say anything is better drenched in chocolate... but....



....

Leonardo Melendez said...

I only had a teacher like that until 6th form. But Italiano! I wish.

Beth said...

Thanx, that makes me feel better. I hope my students think that about me....Even if they say I have a strange accent!